Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Homemade Granola bars

Ok, so my husband and son wanted granola bars for our grab and go breakfast this week.   I didn't want to buy granola bars at the store for two reasons, money and healthfulness (is that a word?).  So I remembered a recipe from Melissa @ Another Lunch for chocolate chip granola bites and I decided to make them.

I had to improvise because I didn't have any Crisped Rice cereal.  So here is the recipe I used.   I substituted frosted mini shredded wheats and lowered the sugar.

2 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup crushed up frosted mini shredded wheats
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup chocolate chips
*In a large bowl combine the first 4 ingredients.  Mix well.  In another bowl/container (I used my 2cup glass measuring cup) combine the vanilla, oil, and honey and pour over the dry mixture.  Mix really well.  Then add chocolate chips to mixture.

If you have these great mini silicone baking cups then press the mixture into them and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 min.  OR in a 8X8 glass baking dish lined with parchment paper press in and bake for 17-22 min. If you want to make them into bars you have to give them a long time to cool down.  Check out Melissa's post for all the tips on baking and on cutting bars.  She explains it well.


No comments:

Post a Comment